[SWLUG] re: 760el

Rhys Sage rhys_sage at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 22 12:41:27 UTC 2003

Hi Telsa,

> To how much? From how much?=20

The memory has been expanded from 32 to 64MB (maybe 80
- can't remember) The 760EL came as new with 16MB.

> If you have been browsing Ebay, you must surely know
> that
> this price is a little high. Here is the same model
> as yours.
> (Pentium-133, 32Mb RAM, 2Gb hard drive, yes?) It is
> going for=20
> less than $20.

I don't know where you picked up those prices but
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3441739285&category=3715
is a laptop on sale in Britain and when I last checked
was up to £100 with 2 days left to go.

I note a lot of 760els going for £200.

> get for that laptop. Particularly when you haven't
> actually
> mentioned what specs it has beyond "added RAM" nor
> the state
> of the screen: are pixels gone, for example?=20

The screen is OK. No noticable problems.

It has the floppy drive - but the CD drive can be
picked up for £20 on Ebay. It's a simple case of
swopping them over - lift the KB, undo one screw and
lift the floppy drive out then put the CD unit in.

It's possible to put a second battery in to run as an
extension to the main battery. This takes the space
used by the floppy drive.

I'm not sure what the CPU speed is. I vaguely
recollect it's 120mhz. It'll run NT4 and Open Office
quite nicely though. I wouldn't use it for playing
games though.

There're the usual array of ports - seriel, parallel,
mouse, video and the IBM docking and external drive
ports.

It's got one of those funny stub mice. Personally, I
always use an external mouse or the alt key - that
stump really takes it out on your finger!

2.1 GB drive. I don't think NT4 can handle much more
than that.

I think I brought it along to a meeting about a year
ago and I think you saw it, Telsa.

Anyway, for the £200 you get not just the laptop and
its brand new charger and expanded memory but also a
carrying case, an IBM manual for the 760el (which I
purchased specially). I'll even throw in a pcmcia
ethernet combo card - so a CD unit is not needed.

Rhys