[SWLUG] LinuxConf

Gareth Bowker tgb at tgb.org.uk
Wed Oct 1 16:16:04 UTC 2003

On Mer, 2003-10-01 at 17:09, Terry John wrote:

> >cygwin X: http://www.cygwin.com/xfree/
> >putty: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
>
> Something like that. I thought cygwin was Linux on windows. I've got a
> real linux box but I use W2K as a desktop. I'll have a look. If cygwin
> can help it could be better than messing about with adduser, addgroup &
> all their friends :-)
> Terry

Cygwin provides lots of the nice unix-y things that are missing from
Windows. i.e. it lets you do most things you can do on a linux box, on a
windows box. to get X forwarding over ssh, thinking about it some more,
you probably want the version of ssh that (hopefully) comes with cygwin.
You then want to do "ssh -X hostname" - then you can run remote X apps
and have them appear on your screen quite happily.

Hope this makes sense :)

Gareth