[SWLUG] LinuxConf

Dafydd Harries daf at parnassus.ath.cx
Thu Oct 2 19:33:57 UTC 2003

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 05:09:45PM +0100, Terry John wrote:
> >> Bit of a pain though since they only work on X and I'm doing admin
> via
> >> SSH terminal.
> >>
> >> Any good SSH X emulators for Windows? The one I use needs telnet & I
> >> don't want to have to do that.
>
> >Do you mean something to do X forwarding over ssh? I've never done
> this, but I'd have guessed >that installing cygwin's X server, along
> with PuTTY would work. Cygwin may even have an ssh >client built-in -
> it's been ages since I used it, I'm afraid.
> >
> >cygwin X: http://www.cygwin.com/xfree/
> >putty: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
>
> Something like that. I thought cygwin was Linux on windows. I've got a
> real linux box but I use W2K as a desktop. I'll have a look. If cygwin
> can help it could be better than messing about with adduser, addgroup &
> all their friends :-)
> Terry

Cygwin is a Unix compatibility layer for Windows, and ports of many
applications to that compatibility layer. If you install the XFree port
and the OpenSSH port, you should be able to:

 - start X on the Windows machine with "startx"
 - ssh -CX redhat-machine xterm
	within an xterm on the Windows machine to run an xterm on the
	RedHat machine: C is for compression, X if for X forwarding. You
	might have to enable X forwarding on the RedHat box, see
	/etc/ssh/sshd_config. I know that Debian disables it by default
	for security reasons, don't know about RedHat.
 - run whatever X program you want

I think it's possible to make X run rootless on Cygwin, which I think it
nicer. I haven't used it enough to care about finding out.

--
Dafydd