[hagbard at nildram.co.uk: Re: [SWLUG] LinuxConf]

Bryn Reeves hagbard at nildram.co.uk
Fri Oct 3 10:05:14 UTC 2003

----- Forwarded message from Bryn Reeves <hagbard at nildram.co.uk> -----
Just sent this and forgot to reply to the list... sorry 'bout that - I've
just changed my mailer ;)

Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 11:03:18 +0100
From: Bryn Reeves <hagbard at nildram.co.uk>
To: Dafydd Walters <dafydd at walters.net>
Subject: Re: [SWLUG] LinuxConf

On 15:24 Thu 02 Oct     , Dafydd Walters wrote:
> Dafydd Harries wrote:
> >  - start X on the Windows machine with "startx"
> >  - ssh -CX redhat-machine xterm
> > 	within an xterm on the Windows machine to run an xterm on the
> > 	RedHat machine: C is for compression, X if for X forwarding. You
> > 	might have to enable X forwarding on the RedHat box, see
> > 	/etc/ssh/sshd_config. I know that Debian disables it by default
> > 	for security reasons, don't know about RedHat.
> >  - run whatever X program you want
>
> I use this exact technique almost every day to administer a Red Hat 7.3
> box from a Win2K workstation.  BTW, I don't remember having to explicitly
> enable X forwarding on the Red Hat machine, so I believe it should work
> "out of the box" (but it's a long time since I set up that machine, so I
> could be wrong on that).

Think you're right - I have a few rh7.x machines here and they all seem
to support X forwarding out of the box. On a simillar subject, I have two
desktop machines at work, one RH7.2 and one win XP. I run gdm with remote
logins enabled over xdmcp. You need to set Enable=true in the [xmdcp]
section of /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf file. You also might want to set the
AllowRoot and AllowRemoteRoot options to false for a bit more security.

This setup works really well from cygwin, I use a little script, 'doX'
to launch xfree fullscreen with xdmcp without opening a shell window:

---8<---
#!/bin/sh
Xwin.exe -fullscreen -query host.to.login.to -once
---8<---

Without the -once option, X will restart whenever you log out.
You can then make a windows shortcut to it, just make the target
"path-to-cygwin\bin\bash.exe --login -c doX" and maje it start in
"path-to-cygwin\bin".

Might be useful to someone.

Cheers

Bryn