[SWLUG] batch ftp

Bryn Reeves hagbard at nildram.co.uk
Thu Oct 9 14:54:21 UTC 2003

On 14:55 Thu 09 Oct     , nat wrote:
> hi collective knowledge of swlug!
>
> bit of a query, i've got a heap of remote boxes that i need to backup
> data from to a server every night. the protocol i've got to use is ftp,
> insecure on its own but this is in an ipsec tunnels :)
>
> does anyone know of any readily avaiable scripts of utils for uploading
> the whole of a directory and its sub directorys and files easily? i'm
> hoping something has already been written and i wont have to hack
> something together in perl.
>
> the boxes as a mixture of redhat and debian.
>
> ta in advance,
>
> :)
>
> nat,
> --
> http://photos.nuqe.net

Hi nat,

ncftp is available which has a non-interactive ftp client designed to be
called from shell scripts. It has a batch mode and can recursively descend
an entire directory tree. There's also a perl module Net::FTP but I've
never used it.

Just a thought, but if security isn't a problem, might it be easier to use
rsync? It's smarter than ftp in that it knows not to replace files if they
haven't changed. It's a pretty standard service so should be readily
available on your redhat/debian machines.

Cheers

Bryn