[SWLUG] hot swappable floppy/cd drive

Bryn Reeves hagbard at nildram.co.uk
Thu Oct 9 19:04:34 UTC 2003

On 16:23 Thu 09 Oct     , Tim Bonnell wrote:

> I have just received a couple of new DELL optiplex sx270 machines to test,
> so obviously I wiped the pre-installed hard drive, and installed Linux (SuSE
> 8.1pro).
>
> The problem I have is that these machines come with a swapable floppy / CD /
> CD-RW drive. When the system boots it detects the CD, but I then want to
> write to a floppy (to install grub) but the kernel says that /dev/fd0 isnt a
> proper device.
>
> Do I need to load a kernel module, and if so, which one?
>
> Until I get a grub floppy written I am not going to be able to boot with the
> floppy installed.
>
> Anybody know what I'm talking about?
>
> Regards,	Tim
>
> +------------------------------------------------+
> | Tim.Bonnell at CarringtonWire.com                 |
> | IT Manager - Carrington Wire Cardiff           |
> | PO Box 56, Pengam Works, Cardiff CF24 2WR      |
> | Tel:+44(0) 29 20256100 Fax:+44(0) 29 20256101  |
> | www.CarringtonWire.com                         |
> +------------------------------------------------+
>
> ****** Internet Email Confidentiality ******
> Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message.  If
> you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for
> delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this
> message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly
> notify the sender by reply email. Please advise immediately if you or your
> employer do not consent to Internet email for messages of this kind.
>
> Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not
> relate to the official business of Carrington Wire Ltd shall be understood
> as neither given nor endorsed by it.

Hi Tim,
This is just a guess, but I think the sx270 might have an ide floppy
drive (does it plug into the same connector as the cd?). If that's
the case, you'll need the ide-floppy driver compiled in or available
as a module. I checked a redhat machine here and the standard kernel
doesn't include it as either. SuSE may vary though. It's in the
'ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support -> IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices' section
of the kernel config.

The user manual's here on dell's site:
http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/opsx270/en/ug/index.htm

but it's not much help!
There's an italian spec here:
http://www.euro.dell.com/downloads/emea/products/optix/optix_sx270_it.pdf

which has the floppy in the ide section.. might be worth a try?

Cheers

Bryn