[SWLUG] Super User

Lee Westlake Lee_Westlake at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 22 15:54:41 UTC 2003

Hi all,

I realise that this is a linux forum, but I am currently experiencing a
strange problem with my sparc/solaris setup which I believe to be
applicable to the majority of unix configurations.  Prior to
reinstallation of solaris 9, typing “su” to enter super-user mode,
simply allowed me to become the super-user without automatically
sourcing the .cshrc file from the current user’s home directory.
Although not ideal, as I had to manually source the .cshrc file upon
acquiring super-user status, I was never able to get the system to
perform this task automatically.

However, in a bizarre twist of fate, having performed a clean install of
solaris 9, the system now appears to automatically source the current
user’s .cshrc file upon acquisition of super-user status.  This is of
course ideal as the system now behaves as required, but not knowing what
has caused this change bestows the anticipation of impending doom which
sooner or later will come back to bite me on the butt.

If anyone has an idea as to what evil forces are at work here, I would
be very grateful to hear from you.

Best regards

Lee.