[SWLUG] Super User

Bryn Reeves hagbard at nildram.co.uk
Wed Oct 22 18:35:16 UTC 2003

On 17:07 Wed 22 Oct     , Daniel T. Morgan wrote:
> Hiya spoke to my solaris admin friend on msn
>
> and he says:
>
> FunkJames says:
>
> anyways, standard su, no environment read
>
> FunkJames says:
>
> su - reads environment
>
> FunkJames says:
>
> I reckon he may be doing the - on it without realising ?
>
> FunkJames says:
>
> or maybe missing the minus before ?
>
> hope this helps, if you need me to pass on any more questions answers to him, get in touch.
>
> Regards
> Plod

Same behaviour with my solaris 2.6 box here. Infact, I think this is one thing
that is standard across all unices; 'su [username [args]]' allows you to become
another user, 'su - [username [args]]' causes you to become another user *and*
process that users normal login scripts.

Perhaps there was/is an alias for the 'su' command defined somewhere like
RedHat does with ls?

Bryn