[SWLUG] BIND alternatives

Foeh Mannay foeh.mannay at ntlworld.com
Mon Oct 27 21:53:07 UTC 2003

Hi,

At the risk of sounding like a total newbie...

I'm looking at hosting a DNS server which will resolve name queries for a
small list of hostnames (less than 10) and MX requests for one domain.
Essentially I'm doing it because the chap who owns the domain runs Windows
2003 server and it regularly fails to perform its DNS duties for some unknown
reason.

I've already got BIND set up on this machine, though admittedly it's just
caching and resolving local addresses, i.e. the complete opposite to what it
will need to do.

So in essence I was wondering what people thought about nameservers,
especially with regard to security and simplicity. I don't mind reconfiguring
BIND, however I *do* mind it being a bug ridden, bloated, wide open doorway
into my system, which I don't have the time or inclination to keep current.

Since it is such a small scale operation, can anyone suggest a viable
alternative to using BIND? Preferably one that doesn't involve a perl / bash
script and netcat, but if anyone wants to draft one out that way, be my guest
- less chance of getting rooted I suppose :o)

Cheers!

Foeh