[SWLUG] re: kppp, HSP56 Micromodem and Freeserve

pbhj - hotmail pbhj at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 2 20:47:59 UTC 2003

Hey all,

Been lurking for a short time and also met some of you at the Awareness Day (5'10", Goatee, was trying to get some Debian disks).

Anyway I've been trying to connect to Freeserve via my HSP56 Micromodem ... anyone out there using Freeserve? (If not recommend a new host and also some suggestions for where to host a PHP/MySQL site [currently looking at Lycos as it's free]). The modem seems alright I've used the linmodem pages to track down the modules and force load them with "insmod -f /path_to/pctel" and what-have-you -- needed (apparently) as the kernel is 2.6 and the drivers are for 2.4. The modem responds to ATI1, etc. (but doesn't give any ouput via the modem info button of kppp). Variously, it attempts to connect and then hangs with a "no carrier" error OR locks up and forces a hard reset OR fails to even dial ....

It's a mystery to me.

What [hardware?] modems are you all using (or do you have broadband?) ... I've been told no-one makes true internal _hardware_ modems anymore?

Cheers

Paul