[SWLUG] re: kppp, HSP56 Micromodem and Freeserve

Dominic Pearson kryptops at syn-ack.co.uk
Wed Sep 3 18:12:51 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 21:47:59 +0100
"pbhj - hotmail" <pbhj at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Been lurking for a short time and also met some of you at the
> Awareness Day (5'10", Goatee, was trying to get some Debian disks).
>
> Anyway I've been trying to connect to Freeserve via my HSP56
> Micromodem .. anyone out there using Freeserve? (If not recommend a
> new host and also some suggestions for where to host a PHP/MySQL site
> [currently looking at Lycos as it's free]). The modem seems alright
> I've used the linmodem pages to track down the modules and force load
> them with "insmod -f /path_to/pctel" and what-have-you -- needed
> (apparently) as the kernel is 2.6 and the drivers are for 2.4. The
> modem responds to ATI1, etc. (but doesn't give any ouput via the modem
> info button of kppp). Variously, it attempts to connect and then hangs
> with a "no carrier" error OR locks up and forces a hard reset OR fails
> to even dial ...

Hello. Well, to answer your first question, I use Freeserve. For some
reason, I cannot seem to dial up at all with kppp. It usually dies after
negotiation. I just use the Debian 'pppconfig' to configure my dialup
scripts (I believe this exists on other distros too, either as pppconfig
or pppsetup.) The phone number I use is 08089916001, with PAP
authentication. It works fine, dialing up with a simple execution of
'pon', and hanging up with 'poff'. Basically, I would try setting up the
connection this way, rather than using a graphical frontend that tends
to break often (well, breaks with me anyway.) Secondly, try using a 2.4
kernel to see if that makes any difference. You mention the drivers are
for 2.4, so 2.6 may be breaking something.

> What [hardware?] modems are you all using (or do you have broadband?)
> .. I've been told no-one makes true internal_hardware_ modems anymore?

I'm using an internal HSF modem by Conextant. Bought it off a friend for
a tenner. Winmodem again, but it works great with the right drivers
installed. I really need broadband though...

Hope you get things sorted,
Kryptops