[SWLUG] re: kppp, HSP56 Micromodem and Freeserve

Paul Jefferies pbhj at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 4 12:30:20 UTC 2003

Thanks Kryptops, at least I now have an idea it works for someone ... I've
found quite a few howtos for freeserve but all quite old so wasn't sure if
anyone was still using it with Linux.

Will try pppconfig route (again) and let you know ... downgrading the kernel
seems a bizarre plan when the modem is dialing and making the right noises;
still, as with all these things often the bizarre plans work best. Not
inclined towards this proposition but will let you know.

Incidentally, I'm using Slackware 9.

pbhj

 > "pbhj - hotmail" <pbhj at hotmail.com> wrote:

 > Hey all,
 >
 > Been lurking for a short time and also met some of you at the
 > Awareness Day (5'10", Goatee, was trying to get some Debian disks).
 >
 > Anyway I've been trying to connect to Freeserve via my HSP56
 > Micromodem .. anyone out there using Freeserve? (If not recommend a
 > new host and also some suggestions for where to host a PHP/MySQL site
 > [currently looking at Lycos as it's free]). The modem seems alright
 > I've used the linmodem pages to track down the modules and force load
 > them with "insmod -f /path_to/pctel" and what-have-you -- needed
 > (apparently) as the kernel is 2.6 and the drivers are for 2.4. The
 > modem responds to ATI1, etc. (but doesn't give any ouput via the modem
 > info button of kppp). Variously, it attempts to connect and then hangs
 > with a "no carrier" error OR locks up and forces a hard reset OR fails
 > to even dial ...

Hello. Well, to answer your first question, I use Freeserve. For some
reason, I cannot seem to dial up at all with kppp. It usually dies after
negotiation. I just use the Debian 'pppconfig' to configure my dialup
scripts (I believe this exists on other distros too, either as pppconfig
or pppsetup.) The phone number I use is 08089916001, with PAP
authentication. It works fine, dialing up with a simple execution of
'pon', and hanging up with 'poff'. Basically, I would try setting up the
connection this way, rather than using a graphical frontend that tends
to break often (well, breaks with me anyway.) Secondly, try using a 2.4
kernel to see if that makes any difference. You mention the drivers are
for 2.4, so 2.6 may be breaking something.

 > What [hardware?] modems are you all using (or do you have broadband?)
 > .. I've been told no-one makes true internal_hardware_ modems anymore?

I'm using an internal HSF modem by Conextant. Bought it off a friend for
a tenner. Winmodem again, but it works great with the right drivers
installed. I really need broadband though...

Hope you get things sorted,
Kryptops

SWLUG Discussion List - Discuss at swlug.org.uk