[SWLUG] dsl modem

Dave Cridland [Home] dave at cridland.net
Wed Sep 24 18:47:18 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 14:31, Peter Bradley wrote:
> Dave,
>
> Some progress (but not yet enough ...).
Some progress is infinitely better than none.

> First I deleted the dsl configuration in YAST.  When I rebooted, dsl0 (which
> had been configured before was not listed).
IMHO, that's good.

> So I did lsusb, but got the same output as before.  However when I moved the
> modem, lsusb gave me:
>
> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 003 Device 002: ID 06b9:4061 Alcatel Telecom Speed Touch ISDN
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Ah-ha...

> Not sure about the ISDN, but still ...
>
> So I did start-adsl.  This time, there was a significant delay (as the docs
> say there should be) before the following appears:
>
> using channel x (Note: started at 2 and increased sequentially each time I
> ran start-adsl)
> Using interface ppp0
> Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/2
> sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x267be26f>]
> sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x267be26f>]
> SIOCADDRT: no such device
Okay, that's looking good. I suspect you now no longer have pppoa3
installed, or else not in the "right" place.

Try looking for it ("which pppoa3") and checking the path given in
/etc/ppp/peers/adsl (or whatever). I have:

pty "/usr/sbin/pppoa3 --vpi 0 --vci 38 --pipe"

Also, try running:

modem_run -v 2 -f /usr/lib/adsl/mgmt.o

You'll probably need to change the path to whichever file contains the
firmware.

This will likely moan greatly into your logs - probably into
/var/log/messages assuming SuSE is sufficiently like RH. Read it with
"less". (You can hit SHIFT-F to get a running update, and use CTRL-C to
stop it again so you can scroll back. q will quit entirely.)

> Any ideas gratefully received.

If all else fails, reinstall the Benoit drivers, from scratch. Pretend
you have done nothing at all. (You'll overwrite lots of files, that's
fine).

> By the way, Windows wasn't at all phased by the moving of the modem.
> Hmmmph!

Oh, okay. Previously I've had Windows complain when I moved the USB
mouse about, for instance. ISTR having problems when moving the
Speedtouch, back when they were relatively new drivers, but that was
quite a time ago now.

Dave.