[SWLUG] Windows XP

Philip Downer phil at pjd.me.uk
Wed Apr 14 18:28:40 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 16:06, Steve Anderson wrote:
> Dafydd Harries wrote:
>
> > I have a Thinkpad that came with a hidden recovery partition. A friend
> > of mine with a similar model phoned up IBM and they were happy to send
> > him a CD, no fuss.
>
> HP and Dell won't, though, and I think Evesham might be buckling to
> Microsoft's 'helpful suggestion' to leave out the proper installation
> CD. This is fine until you have a laptop fall on a concrete floor with
> just enough force to smash the heads into the disks without damaging
> anything else, of course =)

I have a Dell Latitude thats about 2 years old, that came with a windows
CD and I had a brand new Inspiron delivered just last week for someone
else that came with a Windows XP CD and Dell extra proprietary software
restore CD.

I think when I bought my latitude I had to tick a box that said 'include
a restore CD' but I certainly didn't do that when I ordered the
Inspiron.

Phil