[SWLUG] cheap laser printers ??

Dick Porter dick at acm.org
Mon Apr 19 13:09:45 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-19 at 11:33, Gareth Lewis wrote:
> is it still a better bet to spend (quite a lot) more initially and get
>  a HP with ps and ethernet in the hope that any 'nix version should
>  cope and i should be able to find recycled carts for a resonable price
>  ?

I can certainly recommend the HP laserjet 1200 - I've got the one with
the network option (its really just an ethernet box that plugs into the
the usb port on the back of the printer.)  Getting it working was simply
a matter of plugging the power in, letting it get an IP address by DHCP,
and telling lpd-ppd which ppd file to read.

> I don't print a whole lot of stuff at home, but that's partially the
>  fault of my crappy inkjet.

I don't print very often but when I do, its going to be something big
like a manual.

I can't tell you how much the toner costs or how long it lasts, cos I've
not needed to replace it yet in the 2 or 3 years I've had the printer.

- Dick