[SWLUG] cheap laser printers ??

Gareth Lewis Gareth.Lewis at patent.gov.uk
Fri Apr 23 09:27:46 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I'm still of the opinion that a laser printer is the way to go, especially given the cost of remanufactured toner carts vs injet carts (the evil profiteering(sp?) lexmark unfortunately in my case !)

Still have no idea what is the best cheap deal though !

It seems that remanufactured carts appear in an number only after about a year of that particular model existing, since it's only then that a good supply of spend carts exist.  Also, it seems that, at the cheap (low paper volume) end of the market, only HP carts are easily available.

So, maybe I should go for a HP laser jet.  but the bottom of the range are all 'host  processing' types, and I'm very confused as to where things get better, if indeed they do.  Also, I'd rather not have to bugger about trying to upgrade printer systems if i can avoid it !    Any one ever seen second hand hp lasers ?

Gareth.

>>> "Gareth Lewis" <Gareth.Lewis at patent.gov.uk> 19 April 2004 11:33:24 >>>
Hi peeps,

Has anyone had a close look at the rash of 'cheap' laser printers that are on the market these days ?

I've noticed that some machines are available for around 100 quid BUT,   the one i looked at was a USB one - with dubious linux conpatability and a new cart was 70 quid !

is it still a better bet to spend (quite a lot) more initially and get a HP with ps and ethernet in the hope that any 'nix version should cope and i should be able to find recycled carts for a resonable price ?

I don't print a whole lot of stuff at home, but that's partially the fault of my crappy inkjet.

G.

SWLUG Discussion List - Discuss at swlug.org.uk