[SWLUG] Redhat 9... where to download?

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Tue Aug 24 09:49:56 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 10:28, Steve Anderson wrote:
>  It wasn't the ISOs or whatever that caused the
> problem, but it seemed to be the name 'Red Hat' - their name and
> reputation is considered one of their greatest assets, so they were
> restricting its use to describe a distro that didn't come directly from
> them or an official mirror. (I think.)

Ah that, well as far as i understand it: Redhat were having problems
with people that would buy a copy of say RH9 from someone selling cheap
cd's, and would assume that because they had bought it, it would come
with some level of tech support like the official ones did (yeah dumb i
know, but people are like that).  So they placed a restriction on anyone
being able to sell copies of a redhat product with the redhat name still
on it, but you were allowed to give it away free, or remove the redhat
name and sell the result.  which gave birth to things like Pink Tie
linux, which istr was just redhat with the logos changed.
you could still download the ISOs for free, as that didnt imply any kind
of warranty or entitlement.

Fedora obviously fixes this issue, as you cannoy buy an offical version
with support, theres no confusion over what does and doesnt have a tech
support phone number.