[SWLUG] Getting old machine working

Keith Edmunds keith at midnighthax.com
Tue Dec 7 12:44:56 UTC 2004

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 12:25:46 +0000
linlist2 at nwjones.demon.co.uk wrote:

> My current desktop is not working. I don't really know what is wrong and
> it is old and pr0bably beyond economic repair (800 mhz). It beeps
> contuniaully on swithc on. REplaced battery no effect.

Generally this is indicative of a memory problem. One thing you could try
is removing the memory stick, observing static precautions, and carefully
clean the edge connectors with a pencil eraser. Ensure that all the rubber
"rolls" are removed before replacing the memory.

> I have an older machine 200 mhz which I may want to press into service.
>
> If I take the linux disk out of my current non-functioning machine and
> put it into my old machine what problems may I encounter. Alan suggested
> since the processor may be different ( it is I believe an old Cyrix chip
> I may need to do something to the kernel.)

If the kernel was built for a different CPU architecture you may have to
rebuild the kernel. If this is a stock distribution kernel it will probably
be OK. If it does fail to boot, boot from rescue/installation CD, mount the
root partition and chroot to it:

# mkdir /myroot
# mount /dev/hda1 /myroot #assumes root partition is /dev/hda1
# chroot /myroot

You're now in your old system, and you can rebuild the kernel / rerun lilo
/ configure grub / whatever you need to do.

> I may want to look at getting an second hand machine via ebay.
>
> Ancy advice on swapping disks around machines would be welcome.

If you want to transfer the system from one disk to another, boot the
rescue CD as before and partition the new disk. Create whatever file system
you want on the new disk (eg ext3, reiserfs, whatever). Then do the
following for each partition; the following shows how to copy the system
from /dev/hda1 to /dev/hdc1, but you can substitute devices as required:

# mkdir /to /from
# mount -r /dev/hda1 /from
# mount /dev/hdc1 /to
# tar -C /from -cf - . | tar -C /to -xvf -
# umount /to /from

Hope this helps - if I've assumed too much knowledge, shout.

Keith