[SWLUG] ubuntu disks

Dick Bain dick at towy71.uklinux.net
Thu Dec 16 19:45:39 UTC 2004

Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 09:11:40AM +0000 or thereabouts, Dick Bain wrote:
>
>>Just off up to London and want to thank whoever it was that put a load
>>of ubuntu LiveCDs and install disks in the post for me! I will be giving
>>them out to as many people as possible at the DTI, well a dozen or so anyway
>

> How did the DTI thing go, then?
>
> And did you dispose of the CDs?
>
> Telsa

the DTI was interesting all the invitees were against software patents,
I sat amongst the young turks of the patent office, they were passing
notes to one another furiously, they had also written the speeches for
the platform party and provided one of them with a Powerpoint
presentation for which the correct fonts were not installed on the
laptop powering the presentation so that when it came to the end and
things which would not be patentable were marked with a star of david
rather than a bold X.
the audience comprised physisists, web programmers, graphics and music
people and the like, all very nice and friendly and a little freaky, but
the patent office lot looked lean and hungry ;-)
I did not speak cos there were cleverer people than me scoring easy
points on a team of people who do not understand programming at all or
even any of the points being made against them! they talked a lot about
technical elements but had no real illustration of what a technical
element was.
I always knew that the stories about lawyers was right, always count
your fingers when you've shaken hands with them
Dick