[SWLUG] Speedtouch DSL modem

Foeh Mannay foeh.mannay at ntlworld.com
Sun Dec 19 22:28:45 UTC 2004

Hi,

Reading what you say about load reminds me of when I was still using my
USB modem (based on the speedtouch setup I think, it was a Fujitsu). As
you are, I was too tight to replace it with a router until I got given
one. I digress...

What I found was that burning CDs and generally doing any semi-hefty
disk IO (restarting X for example) would send the modem drivers South.
Incidentally, I noticed that hdparm wasn't able to turn on DMA mode on
the hard drive either. As it turned out, when I recompiled the kernel
for all the trash eciadsl needed to work, I'd omitted the hard drive
controller for my machine and it was using generic code to control it.
Once I'd recompiled it with the appropriate hard disk controller ticked,
DMA mode worked again and I was able to use the ADSL without issue.

Dunno if that applies to you, but perhaps fiddling with hdparm could
give you some insight?

I can't see the MTU being the source of your problems as that wouldn't
cause the connection to drop completely.

Foeh