[SWLUG] suse 9.1 and fedora 3 install woes

Dick Porter dick at acm.org
Mon Dec 20 11:32:37 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-19 at 12:14 +0000, bob wrote:
> Just wondering if any of you have had problems with SUSE 9.1
> installations?
> I decided to try Suse and got a new boxed set.
> I did a clean install on a box that as running FC1 for about a year.
> When using Yast it kept saying it couldn't find some package's ( not a
> lot you can do if its not on the CD!)

Try installing the package again when the installer tells you the
package failed.  Worked for me...

> Eventually it loaded but I couldn't login ( user or Root) It said :
> Cannot locate libpam.so no such file.

Obviously, pam should be on the cd.

> I then tried again, complete clean install this time it changed itself
> from the yast install to text only. which wasnt a problem.
> It still wouldn't login to Gnome.
>
> Is there a known problem with Gnome on Suse?

Suse is a KDE shop.

You could also try NLD (Novell Linux Desktop) - it's the new version of
Ximian GNOME with a suse distro bolted onto the back.  It's supposed to
be an expensive corporate desktop but there's a free "evaluation" (but
complete) download somewhere on novell.com.  Not sure what the policy is
regarding free updates though.

(Disclaimer: I work for Ximian, but not in the desktop team)

- Dick