[SWLUG] AMD K6 450

Peter Joseph kneecaps at shockpulse.co.uk
Sat Feb 7 23:35:44 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-07 at 14:25, Rhys Sage wrote:
> Has anybody a working (spare) AMD K6 450?
>
> I have a computer currently chugging along under an
> aged 166. I'd like to run it under a 450 (the max the
> board will take).

Its probably not worth the time and effort! The 'fast' AMD
K6's didnt really run all that fast...due to memory bandwidth
etc etc.

> I bought a K6 450 on ebay some while ago but when I
> tried it over the weekend, it turned out be landfill
> (pretty much like everything else I've ever had from
> ebay).

Always best to test on arrival and sort it out with the seller if it
doesnt work. I've bought loads of things from UPS's to telescope parts
on ebay..and have seldom had problems :D Must just be unlucky!

> So, I'm looking for a replacement K6 450 and would
> appreciate any pointers that do not involve online
> fraudsters.

I can only honestly suggest Ebay etc, that kind of hardware certainly
isnt available new. I doubt that your Ebay problems
are intentional, more a case of people selling of surplus hardware and
not testing it before dispatch :D

You might try computer fairs that you often see about the place on
Sundays..they sell all kinds of stuff new and old at that sort of thing!

Peter

--
Peter Joseph   598454F1                      Debian GNU/Linux Maintainer
kneecaps at shockpulse.co.uk                          kneecaps at debian.org