[SWLUG] Re: K6 + Carmarthen

Lyn David Thomas lyn at cibwr.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Feb 10 22:38:38 UTC 2004

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:47:00 +0000 (GMT)
Rhys Sage <rhys_sage at yahoo.com> wrote:

> At the moment I've got the old PC working with the
> original P166. It seems to work well enough under
> Windows 98. I did hear tell there was a lightweight
> GUI interface I could use instead of KDE which would
> speed Mandrake up a lot. Alternatively, I could run a
> different Linux distribution. Are there any with a GUI
> interface that would run well on a P166. I gather
> Mandrake 9 used to but 9.1 onwards does not.

I would suggest that Vector Linux would be a good choice, it is intended
as a lightweight distro intended for old machines.  You can get the
download version from http://www.vectorlinux.com or the Linux Emporium
have the disk for a few pounds.... Currently they are working on a SOHO
edition - intended for slightly more powerful machines, and they are
working on a new package system for Vector 5....

It is essentially a Slackware based distribution at present, but with a
friendly install interface and some extra tools etc.

I am using it currently....

--
Lyn David Thomas