[SWLUG] mount options

Bryn Reeves hagbard at nildram.co.uk
Tue Feb 24 09:50:25 UTC 2004

On 08:08 Tue 24 Feb     , bascule wrote:
> according to the man page for mount some of the options it lists only take
> effect when used in /etc/fstab, but it then fails to indicate which options
> these are!
> i've been searching but i can't find any confirmation, am i right that even
> though the options 'user' and 'users' can be used on the command line, they
> don't take effect because they are some of the options referred to by the man
> page?

I think so, yes: user, nouser, users, auto, defaults don't seem to have a
lot of meaning outside the fstab.

I did wonder if using -ouid=XXX,user and mounting something as root would then
allow the specified user to umount the fs, but I tried that and it doesn't
work.

Perhaps the documentation could be a bit clearer on this?

Cheers,

Bryn.