[SWLUG] Matrox FB problems....

Tim Shapcott t.j.shapcott at cs.cardiff.ac.uk
Tue Feb 24 18:05:55 UTC 2004

I have been having problems with my framebuffer console....

The problem is, it will only run at 640 x 480, no matter what vga options I
set in lilo. Also, I get a big white bar at the top of the screen next to Tux
during bootup, which then disappears. I have tried all manner of different
options in kernel config.

I have a Matrox MIllenium G400 (single head version), and am running 2.6.3 on
slackware 9.1. I had a similar problem when running kernel 2.4... only it
would say "undefined mode number" at boot if it was set to any more than 800
x 600 (but still actually ran at 640 x 480). Now with 2.6 it doesn't mind
what vga number I give it, it runs at 640 x 480 anyway.

I have been running framebuffer at 800 x 600 on a laptop and 1024 x 768 on
another desktop with no problems at all (kernel 2.4, not sure what video
cards are in them), so I think it might be card-specific.

Anyone have any ideas how I might fix it, or if it is a known issue with this
card?

TIA
Tim