[SWLUG] NTFS and Linux

Peter Joseph kneecaps at shockpulse.co.uk
Wed Jan 28 18:20:17 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 17:49, Gareth Bowker wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 15:26 +0000, Davage, Marcus wrote:

> Yes it can.
>
> I've never been brave enough to enable NTFS write support - it's noted
> in the kernel config as "DANGEROUS!". Personally I'd create a shared
> partition as FAT32, but the support to write to NTFS filesystems is
> there if you're feeling brave and/or foolish ;)

Apparently i hear that NTFS write support is 99% now in the 2.6.x
kernels....however even in the later 2.4.x kernels it's marked as
EXPERIMENTAL/DANGEROUS. I'm sure you'll be able to find somebody with
first hand experience using NTFS writing on the 2.6 kernels. I'm
considering trying it out myself upon my upgrade to 2.6

Peter