[SWLUG] Responses

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Thu Jul 1 11:51:12 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 12:28, andrew sprott wrote:
> Err, why won't anybody respond to my questions here?
> Have I done something completely anti-social?

It generally means that nobody knows the answer, or felt that someone
else might have a better answer.

> From what I gather, a program written in Delphi will basically compile for
> Linux/Kylix. But, will a application written this way work on the distros
> developed for a PDA like a palm pilot, or even my Psion 5mx.

Its just another program, so no real fundamental reason why, but it
depends on exactly what kind of libraries, memory footprint, and display
technology it requires.  afaik not many of the pda linux dists use X,
they tend to use simpler frame buffer systems, which are unlikely to be
compatible.  Its difficult to say for sure unless you have a specific
PDA distribution in mind.

> Also, can you connect a GPS to a PDA? I have a serial cable for my
> 5mx, can it be joined to any serial device, like a Garmin Etrex?

Yes, but the cable can be rather expensive and garmin dont use common
cheap connectors.