[SWLUG] Celtic manor and MS roadshow Debate??

Frank smith bob at rokpacardiff.com
Thu Jul 8 10:59:00 UTC 2004

HI All
       Well now I've cleaned all the marketing blarb from my ears re the
' open source debate',
It was nice meeting a few of you there.
Was it only me that thought the question time seemed to be cut down
sharply when the guys on stage
started looking a bit worried?

This wasnt a debate it was a MS sales show, and it may come as a shock
the open source comunity
that we no alternative software for:

1 profiles/groups   (evidently acording to MS this is their new thing)

2 Set group permissions in a domain ( mmm )

3 update files while some else may add to the same file ( Thats not Unix
then!)

It seems Linux/OS are only effecting old Unix lagasey systems and wont
really effect windows for a few years anyway ( So why the roadshow?)

I was sat in front of a guy from Dixons who imformed them that he was
rolling out OPen office on there shop PC's for ' ease of use and cost'
Now that upset the MS guys!!

Altogether was the usual MS roadshow with nothing really to say re O/S
apart from stay with us and our lockin because were the biggest.

Ps If you bank with the Nationwide change accounts as their runing all
MS now ( very insecure!)
Laters
Frank