[SWLUG] Celtic manor and MS roadshow Debate??

Peter Joseph kneecaps at shockpulse.co.uk
Thu Jul 8 13:18:46 UTC 2004

Frank smith wrote:

> HI All
>       Well now I've cleaned all the marketing blarb from my ears re
> the ' open source debate',
> It was nice meeting a few of you there.
> Was it only me that thought the question time seemed to be cut down
> sharply when the guys on stage
> started looking a bit worried?

Hehe, I expected as much! I'm really cheesed off that I missed it, i've
come down with some sort of stomach bug!!

> This wasnt a debate it was a MS sales show, and it may come as a shock
> the open source comunity
> that we no alternative software for:
>
> 1 profiles/groups   (evidently acording to MS this is their new thing)
>
> 2 Set group permissions in a domain ( mmm )
>
> 3 update files while some else may add to the same file ( Thats not
> Unix then!)

HAHAH! Nothing else to say about that. Apart from, how many years did it
take them to bring NTFS, to desktop users, while Linux users have had
permissions etc since the dawn of time.

> It seems Linux/OS are only effecting old Unix lagasey systems and wont
> really effect windows for a few years anyway ( So why the roadshow?)

Hmm....i'm sure I read somewhere that windows still has code from 1982
in it. Legacy systems my ass.

> I was sat in front of a guy from Dixons who imformed them that he was
> rolling out OPen office on there shop PC's for ' ease of use and cost'
> Now that upset the MS guys!!

Damn, I would have paid to see that!

Pete

--

Peter Joseph                               Debian GNU/Linux Maintainer
kneecaps at shockpulse.co.uk                          kneecaps at debian.org