[SWLUG] Re: celtic manor MS roadshow

Peter Bradley apvx95 at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Jul 9 17:53:09 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 16:53, Frank smith wrote:
> HI Pete
> Sorry you were ill, you didnt miss much debate!!
> As regards
> Getting off the ms treadmill, I use thunderbird for mail
> and most MS people like it, when then learn the filters work well!
> and noe firefox as its more stable and secure.
> After this its quite easy for them to try out open Office.
> Thsi they realise it mostly what they use computers for!
> Cheers
> Frank

Hi Frank

I think you're getting your Petes and your Peters confused.  I'm Peter,
and I'm the idiot who finished up in Usk, but I was also the one with
the treadmill.

I've had the same experience as you where I've managed to introduce
people to Firefox.  Trouble is, I'm a developer.  The support people
decide what goes on people's desktops: and guess what qualification you
have to have to get a job in User Support.  No, not RHL cerification!

Still, it's heartening to see that management are becoming conscious of
the disadvantages of being in hock to MS.  Surprising too

PeteR

:)