[SWLUG] How do I find the reason for a website refusing to connect

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Mon Jul 19 11:39:42 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 09:49, Neil Jones wrote:
> A website belonging to an American charity is not working. I am getting
> a "connection was refused when attemting to contact ...."
> message from Epiphany and Konqueror says Could not connect to host.
> I can ping the address quite sucessfully.

If you can ping it but not connect to the website, then its probably
that their webserver daemon is down/broken.

but, it might be a proxy somewhere between you and them, eg the
transparent proxies that NTL use.

to be sure that it isnt a problem local to you, or your ISP, you would
need to try connections from several locations, eg get people you know
to try it.

theres very little else you can do.