[SWLUG] How do I find the reason for a website refusing to connect

Neil Jones linlist2 at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Mon Jul 19 09:36:23 UTC 2004

On Monday 19 July 2004 12:39, Justin Mitchell wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 09:49, Neil Jones wrote:
> > A website belonging to an American charity is not working. I am getting
> > a "connection was refused when attemting to contact ...."
> > message from Epiphany and Konqueror says Could not connect to host.
> > I can ping the address quite sucessfully.
>
> If you can ping it but not connect to the website, then its probably
> that their webserver daemon is down/broken.
>
> but, it might be a proxy somewhere between you and them, eg the
> transparent proxies that NTL use.
>
> to be sure that it isnt a problem local to you, or your ISP, you would
> need to try connections from several locations, eg get people you know
> to try it.
>
> theres very little else you can do.

Good point about the proxies Justin. I am on NTL for my broadband although
Demon is used for email.

If anyone who is not on NTL would care to  tak a look the URL
is http://www.xerces.org/

It is an American invertebrate conservation group. Ironically am aksing people
on differnt "Backbones" to test this . :-)

--
Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk http://www.butterflyguy.com/
butterflies?" Andrew Lees - The quotation on his memorial at Crymlyn Bog