[SWLUG] suse 9.1 yast must die

Bryn Reeves hagbard at nildram.co.uk
Fri Jun 4 18:21:16 UTC 2004

On 18:18 Wed 02 Jun     , Foeh Mannay wrote:
> On 06/02/04 10:13:10, Keith Edmunds wrote:
> >Gareth, this doesn't help you (sorry), but YAST is one of the main
> >reasons
> >I stopped using SuSE (a few years ago now).
>

> YaST is THE reason I stopped using SuSE all those years ago. And rpm is
> the reason I stopped using redhat. My first bift with apt saw me
> wondering why I didn't try debian sooner and I've never looked back!
>
> Foeh

To be honest tho, these days, with the right .rpmmacros and the --aid
switch, redhat's not half as bad as it used to be for dependency
issues and with apt-rpm, you get many of the advantages of debian's
excellent package management.

I totaly agree regarding YaSTs problem of stashing the system config
internally and then stomping over all your changes tho. That's as sucky
as linuxconf was and it's the reason I won't usually use or recommend
SuSE.

Just my 2cents..

Bryn.