[SWLUG] Alan's open letter

marcusdavage at onetel.net.uk marcusdavage at onetel.net.uk
Tue Jun 8 09:30:31 UTC 2004

I have just received a reply from our two MEPs, Glenys
Kinnock and Eluned Morgan who said that they are "not in
favour of patenting of software as in the US", that "Europe
needs a uniform legal approach to stop the drifting towards
extending patentability to inventions, which would not have
been traditionally allowed, and to stop patentability of pure
business methods, algorithms or mathematical methods",
that "Software products as such, must not be patented" and
that "Open source software must be allowed to flourish and
the Commission must ensure that this Directive does not have
any adverse effect on opensource software and small software
developers."

Marcus