[SWLUG] Eisteddfod

Peter (dsl) apvx95 at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Jun 11 20:26:38 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Neil Jones" <linlist2 at nwjones.demon.co.uk>
To: <discuss at swlug.org.uk>
Sent: Friday, June 11, 2004 8:22 PM
Subject: Re: [SWLUG] Eisteddfod

> On Friday 11 June 2004 19:52, justin at discordia.org.uk wrote:
> > On 11 Jun, Peter (dsl) wrote:
> > > Since the National Eisteddfod is going to be in Newport (Gwent) this
> > > year, I wondered if anyone had considered doing some evangelising?
> >
> > A curious choice of venue, as being born and raised in Newport, and
> > despite being taught a (very) little amount of it in school, i always
> > had the impression that welsh as a first (or any) language was pretty
> > much non existant in that area.
> >

> You are right Justin. There is very little welsh spoken in that part of
the
> world. I think they are trying to evangelise a little.
>
> During the First World War one of the National Eisteddfods was held in
> Birkenhead and that is in  England!
>
> Incidentally Peter's intial idea was quite a good one. The Eisteddfod is a
> good idea for a place to promote the new Welsh Linux stuff. Though from
what
> I have heard the Cymrux distro is still rather beta-ish.

A! 'Steddfod y Gadair Ddu Penbedw!  Och a gwae!

It's also been to London and Chicago, I think.

Well, the translation's a bit iffy - including (in fact mainly, possibly)
the bits I'm responsible for.  But the disty's based on one of the standard
CD disty's (Gentoo?) - so in those terms it's OK I believe.  I'm not worried
about the translation problems.  I think we can put a leaflet in being
honest and telling people that if they don't like it they can change it,
giving the URI of the Kyfieithu web site.  It's what Open Source development
is all about :)

As I said, I'm up for it - including an installfest - if there are enough of
us to make a go of it.

Peter