[SWLUG] UPS etc

Peter Joseph kneecaps at shockpulse.co.uk
Fri Jun 11 21:05:08 UTC 2004

> After a slight power glitch the other day, it came to
> my attention that a UPS might be useful to have -
> particularly since it adversely affects XP more than
> any other O/S I've ever encountered.

really, i hate to say it, but NTFS has coped very well with frequent
fustrated 'RESET' button hits well using XP! :D Much more robust I used to
find than ext2, but the point is moot as XFS and the like rule all other
FS's!

> Has anybody any recommendations for UPSs - what to
> get; what to avoid; where to go; best prices etc?

All i can say is, APC, get the best one you can afford, APC also have a very
well supported (in linux) communications protocol for UPS to PC
communication.
I dont have ups on my desktop machines but my server does and it basically
does a nice clean shutdown 5 mins before the battery power runs out.