Fwd: Re: [SWLUG] UPS etc

swlug at azem.org swlug at azem.org
Sun Jun 13 03:57:48 UTC 2004

>There is the problem though. The 'home use' branding which most cheap ups
>sell tend to be very marginal to power even the most standard 300watt PSU
>machine with a 17" monitor. I have seen less than 5 min runtimes for the
>small UPS on your 'average' desktop of today.
>
>On the other hand, I have experienced a 48 min runtime with monitor with my
>entry level APC ups (all purchased from ebay!!), before automatic shutdown
>was initiated. Furthermore i get very detailed information from my APC ups
>via a homemade (special wiring) communications cable. Things such as line
>dips and spikes are reported....lots of interesting data that can be mrtg'd
>
>:D.
>
>It is intersting just how much over the course of a day the frequency of the
>AC power fluctuates.
>
>I suppose it all boils down to personal experience though.
>
>Pete

5 mins is enough time to save and shut , on non critical machines, being that
your local monitor wont be working and you will have to feel your way without
powered speakers.

I suppose if a "long" power support is your thing, then wouldnt it be a good
idea to build your system around it?
As you are probably aware, Via are doing low consumption 1gig miniitx with 12v
in, or other low power boards depending on application - with some cheap
Maplin filtration you could drip feed a leisure battery and run from that,
The battery will deal reasonably well with spikes and other noise including
lightning. Also banks of rechargeable phone batteries (yellow heatshrunk)
wired in 12v matrix can last a surprisingly long time at full power and are
fast to recharge, but come at a cost and when they die they die fast.
 Cheap thinkpads have a good hibernate function so when the crunch comes, it
may not be game over!
Also bear in mind the other components which might need power like switches
and modems.
I play with a wireless repeater which currently has a solar drip and gets a
battery change once a week. To recharge, the other connects in the boot of
the wifes car for the week for a better charge than any cheap halfords
charger (2 hr daily drive).

any other suggestions appriciated.

 stu