[SWLUG] Re: UPS etc

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Sun Jun 13 15:14:59 UTC 2004

On Sun, Jun 13, 2004 at 03:29:08PM +0100 or thereabouts, Rhys Sage wrote:
> I'd estimate that the battery should last the 5
> minutes needed to close everything and shut the system
> down. Really, what I get is occasional 1 second
> powercuts. That's enought to make XP throw a wobbly. I
> haven't had the problem with 98 as it seems more
> robust. I haven't a clue how SME Server will handle a

There's an easy way to find out...

> power loss. My guess is it'll be more robust than
> Windows.

See previous stuff about pre- and post-Linux 2.4 and
journalling filesystems (and note that they just improve
your chances; they don't solve things every time).

If you have SME Server version 5.6 or 6.0 (which seems to
be the last one before they were bought out), then you have
the 2.4 kernel and ext3. If you have anything earlier, then
you have 2.2 and may meet fsck on reboots.

Telsa