[SWLUG] UPS etc

Foeh Mannay f.mannay at ntlworld.com
Sat Jun 12 18:27:02 UTC 2004

Just my two pence worth...

I used to work in a school where they had an APC UPS. It was the second
one they had had, the first having died shortly after the warranty
expiry. I remember on my first day of working there, it decided that it
was overloaded (it was within spec for what it was powering, and the
mains hadn't dropped) and rather than attempt a graceful shutdown, it
just keeled - instant power off to the server. Nice.

I couldn't say whether that's normal for APC or not, I know I saw a few
dead APC boxes in a previous job I had, but then again I only ever saw
APC UPSes, never any other brand.

Someone was telling me, though, that Belkin do a lifetime warranty on
their UPSes *including* batteries - not sure if it's true but if it is
you can't say better than that really! I'm not a huge fan of Belkin
(mainly due to their prices) but I think they have a big thing about
lifetime / 25 year warranties. Certainly worth investigating.

Foeh