[SWLUG] UPS etc

Peter Joseph kneecaps at shockpulse.co.uk
Sun Jun 13 21:45:15 UTC 2004

> Just my two pence worth...
>
> I used to work in a school where they had an APC UPS. It was the second
> one they had had, the first having died shortly after the warranty
> expiry. I remember on my first day of working there, it decided that it
> was overloaded (it was within spec for what it was powering, and the
> mains hadn't dropped) and rather than attempt a graceful shutdown, it
> just keeled - instant power off to the server. Nice.

Sounds like a knackered battery, certainly not normal!

> Someone was telling me, though, that Belkin do a lifetime warranty on
> their UPSes *including* batteries - not sure if it's true but if it is
> you can't say better than that really! I'm not a huge fan of Belkin
> (mainly due to their prices) but I think they have a big thing about
> lifetime / 25 year warranties. Certainly worth investigating.

25 year warranty on batteries to would be impressive, i've never seen more
than 5 year life out of an APC UPS battery (which I thought was pretty
good!). The thing is, it really depends on duty cycle, if it never switches
to battery its going to last longer!

Pete