[SWLUG] Installation question

Thomas Adam thomas_adam at bonbon.net
Sun Jun 27 22:31:43 UTC 2004

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 23:23:49 +0100
"Peter (dsl)" <apvx95 at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> Are you suggesting that there is some magic key combination I can then
> press?  I can't imagine that just holding the SHIFT key down is going
> to do anything (although I'm happy to try it).  Where will all this

Ok, this is a little progress. When you go to select "Install" you can
then append to that (by way of editing the grub line, in its not so
helpful editor) the oprtion:

video=vga16:off

(this is usually at the end of the line that may well look similar to:

image /vmlinuz-2.4.26

Then boot with that. It may well be that this does not solve your
problem in which case you should read the "bootprompt-HOWTO"[1].

> take take me when I've found the magic combination?  If it's to a
> command prompt, what do I type to get everything to restart in such a
> way as to be able to read what's on the screen?

No, the key-combination was only suggested by me in case there was no
prompt.

> Sorry if I'm sounding dense.  It's probably because I am.  Have pity.

You're not being at all dense, Peter. If none of the above works, Yast
used to have a text-only installer, but something in the back of my mind
tells me it was ditched. Pity rea;;y. The 7.1 pro CDs of SuSE I have
still offers the text install by default.

-- Thomas Adam

[1] http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/BootPrompt-HOWTO.html
--
"Annie Hall leaves New York in the end. Press rewind, and Woody gets her
back again." -- "Look Inside America", Blur.