[SWLUG] Nautilus

Thomas Adam thomas_adam at bonbon.net
Tue Jun 29 21:15:26 UTC 2004

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 22:10:23 +0100
"Peter (dsl)" <apvx95 at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> Me again.  Sorry.

Hello. :)

> OK, I got SuSE 8.2 installed, but now every time I log in, I get
> hundreds(and I mean hundreds) of Nautilus processes running.  They
> just keep replicating until the machine locks up - which is why this
> is being written from Windows.

That's very very odd. At the prompt (heh, you know where it is now) boot
into text-only mode:

Linux 3

and login as the user that you're starting X with. If you then type:

tail -n 50 ~/.xsession-errors

You should (hopefully see) some useful information about why nautilus
feels the need to spawn itself. If you think you see something of use,
post it to us.

> I boot into KDE, and sometimes it even swaps me over into Gnome for no
> apparent reason.
>
> What's going on?  Can anyone help?

You'll need to define yourself a ~/.xsession file, the details of which
can be found here:

http://www.hantslug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?LinuxHints/StartX

-- Thomas Adam

--
"Annie Hall leaves New York in the end. Press rewind, and Woody gets her
back again." -- "Look Inside America", Blur.