[SWLUG] First real post

Daniel T. Morgan Daniel.t.m at smartengine.co.uk
Mon Mar 1 09:07:08 UTC 2004

Foeh Mannay Wrote
>I've personally run into problems doing this in the past - I think I
>managed to have two unstable branches listed and one stable, which
>kicked up a hell of a row about dependancies, so I now have just the
>unstable ones in there. I think you can comment the stable ones out if
>you're worried.

Thanks I'll keep this in mind, just out of interest what is the currect
syntax for comments in this type of file // ?

Philip Downer Wrote
> No, you probably just need a newer version of the standard debian kernel
>image which has most things compiled in already, if you do the following
>in a terminal

>'uname -a'

>you'll probably see something like this:

>'Linux wormbaby 2.4.23 #6 Thu Dec 11 22:42:30 GMT 2003 i686 GNU/Linux'

>except you'll probably see 2.2.21 or something similar, so you just need
>a 2.4 or 2.6 kernel, do:

>'apt-cache search kernel-image'

>and look through the list for a suitable kernel, my machine is an AMD
>Athlon so I'd use kernel-image-2.6-k7. Once you have used apt-get to
>install the kernel just reboot and try iptables again.

I had a go at this, and learnt a lot about lilo along the way, in doing so
I've lost my network card, which is a bit of a pain seing as I had
uninstalled monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and it's not going to be practical
to get them plugged in till next week. However, instead of taking me a week
from start to this stage, I think it will take me a few hours. So the
experience has been productive. I was using the idepci kernel image, and I
too have an athlong (1ghz thunderbird) so went for the k7 option. The
network card I was using, was a 2 nic Compaq card, with an intel chipset.

Peter Joseph Wrote
> If it turns out one of the precompiled Debian kernel images does not
>suit your needs for some reason, luckily as you are using Debian some
>simple tools are provided to allow simplified kernel building.
>Essentially tools are provided to allow you to put together your own
>kernel packages.

>Take a look at the debian 'make-kpkg' package and the kernel source
>packages. But thats something to work on when the need arises.

I think this is the option that I will look at, with the next attempt. Thank
you all for your help.

I hope to make it to the next Cardiff meet.

Regards
Daniel T. Morgan