[SWLUG] Solution!

Rhys Sage rhys_sage at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 1 14:21:21 UTC 2004

> Message: 5
> Subject: Re: [SWLUG] Solution!
> From: Peter Joseph <kneecaps at shockpulse.co.uk>
> To: discuss at swlug.org.uk
> Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 20:35:32 +0000
>
> On Sat, 2004-02-28 at 22:05, Rhys Sage wrote:
> Is that some sort of free firewall software for
> windows? (Outpost)

Allegedly open-source firewall software too!

> How bizzare!!! (but it is windows :D)

Well, the freezes restarted but less frequently.
Checking the error log, it transpires that Microsoft
have put something called DCOM into the system and the
DCOM fails to initialise on an irregular basis.

> >From what I gather all the problem was caused by
> windows firewall
> software? If you have a linux gateway why are you
> bothering with
> software firewalls on your 'desktop' machines?
> IP masq will protect you from 99% of stuff out there
> trying to make
> malicious connections as your internal machines are
> not publicly
> routable. You can set a port range for each of your
> desktop machines to
> use for things like IRC DCC etc etc.

I'm still in the process of setting up my gateway. I
have all the bits. I'm trying now to work out how to
make my server perform its wake on lan activities.

Rhys