[SWLUG] Solution!

Bryn Reeves hagbard at nildram.co.uk
Mon Mar 1 15:13:32 UTC 2004

On 14:21 Mon 01 Mar     , Rhys Sage wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-02-28 at 22:05, Rhys Sage wrote:
> > Is that some sort of free firewall software for
> > windows? (Outpost)
>
> Allegedly open-source firewall software too!

Are you sure? Although they ramble on the website about 'open development
processes' building Linux and the internet, their license agreement hints at
a more 'traditional' licensing viewpoint.

Section 4 for e.g. explicitly forbids modification, reverse engineering and
derivative works. This is clearly incompatible with what most of this
list's readers will understand as 'Open Source'.

It seems like they have a plugin-developer's license which transfers
authour's rights to Agnitum by default. Very open.

> Well, the freezes restarted but less frequently.
> Checking the error log, it transpires that Microsoft
> have put something called DCOM into the system and the
> DCOM fails to initialise on an irregular basis.

Distributed Component Object Model (DCOM) has been a part of Windows for a
good few years now. I seem to remember '95 (original release) required a
separate install, but it's been part of the base OS since the 2nd version
of 95. All my company's products rely on it in one way or another, so
I'd guess it may be a red herring in this instance; perhaps it depends on
something else which is broken on your system?

Also worth noting, is that this is one of the areas exploited by recent
worms. IIRC, one of the possible side effects of an attemted exploit was
problems starting DCOM.  Are you up to date on patches?

> > >From what I gather all the problem was caused by
> > windows firewall
> > software? If you have a linux gateway why are you
> > bothering with
> > software firewalls on your 'desktop' machines?
> > IP masq will protect you from 99% of stuff out there
> > trying to make
> > malicious connections as your internal machines are
> > not publicly
> > routable. You can set a port range for each of your
> > desktop machines to
> > use for things like IRC DCC etc etc.

Agreed.

> I'm still in the process of setting up my gateway. I
> have all the bits. I'm trying now to work out how to
> make my server perform its wake on lan activities.

WoL for a server? Rather you than me...

Cheers,

B.

Highlights of the Agnitum SDK license agreement:

2.	ROYALTY - FREE LICENSE
Subject to the restrictions contained in this Section 4, Agnitum grants to
You a nonexclusive and non-transferable, royalty-free license to use
Software.

3.      RIGHTS GRANTED BY THE PRESENT LICENSE
According to the present License Agreement You are entitled to:

i.      install and use unlimited number of copies of the Software at the
unlimited number of computers;

ii.     copy the Software for personal use or for transfer to the third
persons provided that no fee is charged.

4. Limitations of use
You do not have the right to:
i.      Reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software except
for the cases and only to the extent when it is directly allowed by the
applicable law.

At that, You shall first request Agnitum in writing to provide You with
the necessary information, which You want to obtain as a result of
reverse engineering, decompiling, or disassembling the Software. Agnitum
has the right to impose reasonable conditions such as a reasonable fee
for doing so.

Requests for information should be directed to the Agnitum at the address
provided in the Software or such other address as may be made available
on agnitum.com from time to time;

ii.     Modify, or create derivative works based upon the Software in
whole or in part;

iii.    Remove any proprietary notices or labels on the Software; or

iv.     Resell, lease, rent  or otherwise transfer rights to the
Software, as provided by this License;

v.      Transfer the Software to any third persons if it is forbidden by
laws or international treaties, for example, in countries on which
corresponding international sanctions are imposed;

vi.     Use of the Software does not grant You any other rights to use
other products of Agnitum, except for the rights stipulated by the
corresponding licenses  to these products;

vii.    While copying the Software and transferring it to the third
persons You shall transfer distribution package/installation files in
original form without changing them in any ways.