[SWLUG] Solution!

Gareth Bowker tgb at tgb.org.uk
Mon Mar 1 15:15:29 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 14:21, Rhys Sage wrote:
> > Is that some sort of free firewall software for
> > windows? (Outpost)
>
> Allegedly open-source firewall software too!

I didn't see that on the website anywhere,
http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/ . It seems to be a for-money,
closed-source product, at least for version 2.

According to the product download page,
http://www.agnitum.com/download/outpost1.html, it's quite specific about
running it on an internet gateway:

---------------
Important Notes

We do not guarantee that Outpost Firewall will run on Microsoft ICS
(Internet Connection Sharing) gateway (computer connecting two networks
and transmitting packages from one network to another) running
Windows2000 Service Pack 2 or Windows XP.
---------------

Seems you're trying to do something that they don't support.

> Well, the freezes restarted but less frequently.
> Checking the error log, it transpires that Microsoft
> have put something called DCOM into the system and the
> DCOM fails to initialise on an irregular basis.

DCOM's been around for quite a few years now. I assume any windows
programmers on the list will know what it is.

Anyway, this is rapidly turning into a thread about Windows software.
Let's get it back onto Linux software, please.

Gareth