[SWLUG] Hangups etc

Gareth Bowker tgb at tgb.org.uk
Wed Mar 3 14:28:45 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 14:11, Rhys Sage wrote:
> How does one kill a dial-up connection?

killall pppd
work here.

> SME allows me to dial but won't disconnect unless I
> leave the connection silent for 5, 10 or 20 minutes.
>
> How do I force Linux to hang up the modem?

Not having used SME, I don't know the tools involved. How do you get SME
to dial up in the first place? There's generally an equivalent way of
stopping what you've started.

e.g. Debian has the pon and poff scripts:

pon dialup    # Connect
poff dialup   # Disconnect

I would have thought SME has something similar.

> Also, is the term "blade" a Linux term or is it just
> an SME Linux term.

In what context? It's a general computing term -  a means of clustering
with a passive backplane (I think, I never really looked into it!) - in
the context I've heard of it.

Gareth