[SWLUG] looking for employment

Peter Joseph kneecaps at shockpulse.co.uk
Wed Mar 10 19:54:16 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 16:52, Rhys Sage wrote:

>  I switched the system on and it made a funny noise.

I bet this noise was a kind of klunk, thud or scraping?

> Then it failed to boot from the
> C drive. This happened several times so I checked the
> bios and the drives were all showing up find.
> They were fine. Then I put the drives back into the PC
> and rebooted. The system worked! Now considering I
> never remove the caddies, that all seems very strange.
> Any ideas on what was the problem? I don't like
> intermittant problems - they're so hard to trace.

Sounds like something got stuck inside one of the first drives, I have a
drive which behaves like that in my server machine, it runs fine for
months, but then on reboot it takes a few times to get going again, it
makes a series of klunking clicking noises and then after a sharp knock
it works on reboot. Then functions fine for months.

--
Peter Joseph  		                  Debian GNU/Linux Maintainer
kneecaps at shockpulse.co.uk                         kneecaps at debian.org
http://www.shockpulse.co.uk/                   http://www.debian.org/
   "If there were no god, we would have to invent him." - Voltaire
			PGP Key: 598454F1