[SWLUG] Re: Intermittent Hard disk problem

Bryn Reeves hagbard at nildram.co.uk
Thu Mar 11 13:53:03 UTC 2004

On 13:29 Thu 11 Mar     , Rhys Sage wrote:

> Is Western Digital perhaps not a good brand of disk? I
> had a DOA Maxtor Fireball 3 40GB once, which prompted
> me to RAID my server. Looks like I'll be RAIDing my PC
> too!
>
> Rhys

I can't say whether or not this is a general thing, but I have had
problems with a couple of WD 40GB drives I used to use in a server
with a raid 0 (striped) array. They were running on a promise
fasttrack IDE raid controler, and over 3 years moderate use
developed perhaps a half dozen bad sectors.

This shouldn't be a problem with modern drives and SMART, but thanks
to a botched SMART implementation on the promise card, and a
hardware issue that causes the controller to lock up if it encounters
a bad sector, it was a pretty unsatisfactory situation.

BTW, these drives were also in caddies, the pricier metal ones, and I
found them to be unreliable if they were swapped regularyl.

Cheers,

Bryn.