[SWLUG] GTK, fonts and Flash

Steve Anderson steve at twindx.com
Tue Mar 23 15:10:30 UTC 2004

Hello all.

A couple of questions I suspect somebody will be able to answer for
me... fingers crossed!

First up, I've got aMule running to provide me with my fix of MAME ROMs
and as-yet-unbroadcast sci-fi TV. It uses GTK for its windowing needs.
Now, in Gnome I can use it perfectly; however under XFce (which is also
GTK based) the font's knackered and all I can see is lots of little
rectangles. I'd rather run XFce because it's a little more responsive on
my old Via C3 box. Any ideas? I thought the fonts were handled either by
X or by GTK, but clearly not...

The other annoyance I'm looking to solve is integrating Flash support in
Moz. I've got the plugin from Macromedia, and run the installer, and it
says all is fine - yet still I get the cyan jigsaw-piece. I presume this
is a MIME problem - am I right?

FYI, I'm running an 'unstable' Debian box. Hardware-wise it's an all-in
one cheapy motherboard (including the processor which is a surface
mounted C3) which Red Hat 9 had no problems with.

Cheers

Steve